Monday, June 20, 2005

 

Stub it out

Recently I seem to be backing Tony Blair on many issues - as a non-labour voter this makes me feel uncomfortable. The main issue has been the EU rebate/budget. Now he is pushing for a total ban on smoking in public places, and I once again agree with him.

I spent a few days in Dublin last summer and found going to the pub to be a much more enjoyable experience than it is over here. This wasn't just because Ireland's a great place to have a drink, it was also because you wouldn't come home stinking of smoke. I should make it clear, though I suspect it's pretty obvious, that I'm a non-smoker. A smoky atmosphere can ruin a nice quiet pint and is also not good for your health. If someone wants to smoke, then that's up to them. But to inflict it on other people in a public place is not acceptable. The risks you wish to take with your own health are a personal decision, however it is a different matter when your decisions increase risks for others.

This is why I would agree with The Observer's leader when it says, in relation to a ban, "There can be no excuse for not going ahead."

Wimbledon starts on Monday and the odds are clearly against Henman winning. While grass is generally seen as his best surface, he has had an up-and-down year so far. Not surprisingly, I find it difficult to look past Federer, who is the clear, odds-on favourite at betfair.com. There are a few doubts surrounding him after a not totally convincing performance on the grass at Halle in Germany. He still won there however, and is usually able to step up the quality of his play when he needs to.

I don't like to back the favourite in anything though so I'm going to stick my neck on the line and go for Lleyton Hewitt. The former champion is getting back to something like his best and at 24-1 is a tempting bet for me.

Knowing my luck though, he'll lose in the first round later today!

Comments:
I'm find it far more distressing when I am harrased or generally disturbed by drunken louts than when someone smokes near me. Should we be banning drinking of alcohol in public too?
 
Drinking itself does not cause harm to others, it is the actions of some of those who drink that can do so. The necessary product of smoking - smoke! - is harmful to those unfortunate enough to be in the vicinity.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?