Tuesday, June 07, 2005

 

Radio ga ga

When working I quite like to listen to something - silence allows my mind to wander. By having something in the background for some reason I stay more focused on the main task at hand - up to a point. Speech kills my concentration as I end up listening more to what is being said than working. This means I need music. The problem with most modern music is it contains lyrics, which I either start singing along to or listening to almost like it was speech. Again the concentration goes.

This has lead me to the conclusion that classical music is my ideal revision partner. I don't have any classical music, so I have to listen to either Classic FM or Radio 3. The problem with listening to radio is that they have DJ's, news, and most annoyingly of all, adverts (either for products or other shows). These things seem designed to break my concentration every five minutes or so. Radio 3 is much better for this, as you would expect with its lack of product adverts and is probably my station of choice for revision at the moment. They're doing a "Beethoven Experience" week at the moment, which basically means they're playing all his music and generally talking about the great man. It gives you a good insight into one of the world's greatest ever composers. More info here

To be fair to the classical stations, the DJs manage to contain themselves a lot better than those on Radio 1. Some of the people on there seem intent on talking for half their shows. It's terrible. To be honest, I'm really not interested in what they have to say. I want to hear the music. Obviously they have to fill a bit, but if you spend more than a minute waffling on between tracks, I'm getting seriously upset. Sadly this happens a lot.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?